Monday, June 25, 2007

It's a Small World

It is a small world. We were enjoying an ice cream on a hot day in Central Park in NYC while visiting our daughters. While relaxing on a park bench a cell phone call came in asking for a short interview about our experiences with Global Volunteers in Peru last year. My husband, Peter, and I were both part of the Lima team in Nov. 2006. While answering the interviewer's questions I couldn't believe my eyes. Coming toward us was a team member I had worked closely with in the orphanage in Lima. We cared for two small children with special needs and traveled each day by death-defying taxi to take the two to physical therapy. Suddenly there she was vacationing with friends in NYC. Big hugs and smiles and photos all around. Serendipity made for a special moment for us all and helped to renew our happy thoughts about our accomplishments in Peru and the friends we made in service with Global Volunteers.

Cheri







5 comments:

♥ KNITTING ART said...

You're so kind and benevolent...
I wish you all long lives,happy new year !

arty said...

Thats Quite A Story There And It Is a Small World :] You Can Meet People From 5 Or 10 Years Ago Out Of Nowhere and Have A Great Time Catching Up On Old Times. Never Know when Things will Happen :3

ComputerTeacher said...

I very much enjoyed reading your BLOG. I am encouraged to volunteer myself to help other countries. I only hope to feel the same serendipity you have experienced.

LA GIGGLES said...

Those who care for others have a gigantic heart. You helped the children in so many ways that they will appreciate for life. And that memory will be with you for ever.

LA GIGGLES

Wickedcookie said...

There aren't enough people like you and your friends in my city leave alone in the world.