Monday, February 16, 2009

Student Says: "Ghana Changed My Life!"

I recently returned from Senchi Ferry, Ghana where I served for two weeks as a volunteer through Global Volunteers. It was the most amazing trip, and it completely changed my life! I had never traveled much outside of the United States, yet I have always wanted to go to new and exciting places, so this was a dream come true for me. Beside, being of service was an important consideration for me and so was being safe. Even though I was concerned at first that the wide expanse in ages among the team members would make it hard to relate to one another, it was quite the opposite. It was amazing. It was so great for us students to hear of all of the exciting places most of our team mates had been. I had lots of questions for the older volunteers, and we learned so much from them. I soon realized that outside of age, we had many things in common, especially our desire to serve and help the community!

I've been since inspired to focus my senior thesis on the Ghanaian educational system. I got everything I paid for and more! I miss Senchi Ferry immensely. I loved teaching the kids and enjoyed our weekend trips around Ghana. Ghana was overall an unforgettable, life changing experience! - Samantha Calandrino, CT

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know The Jenzabar Foundation Leadership awards are coming up soon, so if you want to nominate a fellow student or friend for something amazing they have done this year, and help them possibly win a grant to help set up a project, apply here!http://www.jenzabar.com/about_jbar/TJFoundation2009StudentLeadershipAwards.html