Friday, June 12, 2009

A Week On The Rez


Millennium Development Goals: 17 hours establishing home gardens for residents ; 185 elders fed nutritous meals; 120 hours of recreational and nurturing care to elders

Today was our final day. We woke up; held our morning meeting; and rushed to help out at Eagle Shield; move rocks at Blackfeet community college; help Daryl at Head Start, visit with the elderly at the Care Center, and move wood at Vareena’s house. I personally ended up moving rocks and helping Vareena. In many respects, I thought it was ironic that I spent the week cleaning someone’s yard and moving rocks since my family just hired someone to help clean up our yard and to rip-rap a hill that is eroding. Rip-rap is a fancy way of saying dumping rocks. Why was I paying someone to perform a function similar to the one I was paying for to perform for someone else? And, then it dawned on me when Kyra, Staci and I were leaving Vareena’s. Kyra exclaimed “isn’t it neat to see how happy Vareena was with what we accomplished.” Although I was thrilled to have spent the week working outside and getting to know and laugh with so many people, I will admit that there was a moment of envy when we arrived at the Care Center for the closing dinner. Upon our arrival, I learned that Noa and Anna, spent the afternoon accompanying seven of the Care Center residents to St. Marys for ice cream. After dinner at the Care Center --always a special treat -- we put on our talent show. Unfortunately, proved that singing is indeed a talent that not everyone has. Fortunately, we also learned that no one cares -- especially the residents of the nursing home -- and that trying can be fun. In the evening, we returned to clean the Early Childhood Center, have goodbye root beer floats, and to talk. I learned that earlier in the day, two people we had worked with had been laid off. When I expressed shock and concern to Michele, she replied that it was okay, they would collect unemployment and probably get their jobs back in the Fall. Michele’s “rez” roots were coming through. This is the lesson of the Blackfeet. No matter the circumstances or the hardship, life goes on and life will be okay. The Blackfeet roll with life’s punches. - Staci

0 comments: