Wednesday, February 09, 2011

An Journal Excerpt from Cisternino, Italy!



Submitted by: Volunteer Diana

Thought for the day: "Helping people is harder than it looks. But our efforts to empower others also empower ourselves." ~ Nicholas Kristoff, columnist

Now that it is Friday, it seems as if the week has just flown by! We are very comfortable as we walk into Don Quirico Punzi; it does not seem as loud and chaotic. We have adapted to the environment and have developed a feeling of affection for these fresh-faced adolescents.

Jay was with his normal teaching situation – Giovanna – and obviously has a niche that is quite comfortable. Corinne has great skill in facilitating conversation among her students in a gentle but corrective way. She is our resident talk-show host, but way more elegant than Tyra or Oprah.

Me? I had a great time composing letters from our Italian students to their counterparts in California. I am going to organize individual responses back to each student, answering their questions in the letters. I also plan to incorporate some photos of the American students. The letters led nicely to many discussions. For example, if a student writes about a particular singer, I whip out my trusty Blackberry and Google that person; we read the articles together. (Speaking of singers, today in 4th hour, it was a real treat to have Warren sing to us. He gave us a really melodic version of a country song, “On the Road Again.” He is quite good; the girls and I were impressed!)

Warren also did an activity at lunch that re-visited the goals we set earlier in the experience. He wanted us to do a check on where we were and what we were doing to reach our goals. It was cause for personal reflection and assessment for each of us.

Alberobello was on our Friday excursion plan so we had a driver pick us up at 4:30. After driving through beautiful farmland dotted with trulli, we arrived in Trulliville Extraordinaire! We marveled at the rather amazing construction of the slabbed rock roof of each trulli—even on the simple church downtown. I purchased an adorable knit sweater for my sweet grandson and Corinne treated us to a glass of wine in honor of my departure.

Speaking of my departure, I am feeling a little “off” and unsettled about leaving early, but I have a family wedding to attend in Cinqueterra. I will miss my comrades.

To Warren, team leader of great excellence, keep singing!

To Jay, notice all the good things that surround you and enjoy that Hagen Das!

To Corinne, keep those students talking and pronouncing their English correctly!

You are a fun trio to be around; I’ll miss you!

~ Diana

0 comments: